I regret I did not store an old email address list, as one name I need to contact, but no longer have available to me in my current lists, so they are lost in time and space.

Regards
Eion MacDonald

On 09/02/2023 11:06, Philip Whateley via list wrote:
How old is it?

Optical drives have a limited life. Often the lasers can develop difficulties reading the disk. The spinning is usually the drive seeking and failing to find data or TOF for a finalised disk. Failing to eject can be tha the drive is in a state where it doesn’t know if there is a disk present or not.

I’d suggest trying a laser cleaning disk as your next step though, unless you’ve already done that.

You can also eliminate software problems by checking if a plug-in USB optical drive still works. (I have a few old laptops where the built in drive doesn’t work, but a USB drive still does)

Hope this helps

*From:* Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
*Sent:* 09 February 2023 10:08
*To:* Graham B via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Subject:* [LUG]DVD No longer working

Hi All

This is a bizarre one and I have tried Duck Duck Going but not getting anywhere. The DVD player was working fine and reading DVDs without any problems. It has stopped reading them I think. I have tried multiple dvds so I know it is not that. The disk is whirling like it is working but doesn't mount the disk. I'm not sure if it is the player or whether something is not working internally. Sometimes it rejects the dvd and other times not. Under devices it lists the dvd player as cd-rom, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--

Kind regards

Richard Brown