[LUG]Re: Hit a wrong key

On 22/12/2022 13:36, Neil wrote:
Don't ask me what I have done, but today I was making a change to the first day of the week in system calendars on one of my laptops. I restarted the laptop and suddenly all my programs are in German.

I am trying to change back to UK English, but of course I don't know where to look.

Anyone help please?

Neil

Regards
Eion MacDonald

Language settings are usually under 'settings'

Refer:  https://itsfoss.com/change-locales-linux/

refer: https://www.shellhacks.com/linux-define-locale-language-settings/

You need to change from de-DE to
to  EN-GB or en-UK

e.g

itsfoss header logo

    About
    Latest
    Linux News
    Subscribe

Terminal Tools and Tricks
Changing Linux System Language (Locales) From Command Line on Ubuntu and Debian Based Distros
Bymarcocarmonaga Updated on
March 8, 2022
7 Comments
Reading Time: 3 minutes

Brief: Here’s a quick tutorial that shows the steps for changing the locales on Ubuntu and other Linux distributions from the command line.

It’s been some time since I wrote something on It’s FOSS. The truth is that I’ve been writing for a Spanish version of It’s FOSS. If you’ve not visited it and/or you’re a Spanish speaker, please visit It’s FOSS en Español and check all the Linux content in Spanish.

You may be wondering why I’m sharing this fact with you. It’s because this post includes this new page as an example.

At the time of doing a clean installation of your favorite Linux distro, the system asks you to choose a main language. Even though it’s not frequent, some people consider changing that language to a new one later on, like me for example.

See, I have to take screenshots in both Spanish (for It’s FOSS en Español) and in English (for It’s FOSS). This becomes a problem, because I have only one computer, and changing the user is not a fast solution for me.

That’s why I’d like to share with you this quick tip, where I’ll show you how to change your main system language with two simple lines in the terminal.

Let’s begin!
Changing Linux system language from the terminal

Let’s suppose you want to change your main language from English to Spanish.

Verify which language you have set as default (main language). For this, let’s use the locale command.

locale

You should see something like this.

team@itsfoss:~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Here you can see that the main language is English. Now to change it, use the dpkg command in this fashion:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Above will gibve en-US (USA English and key board , then you change to en-UK but instryctions are than in USA English

I hope this helps