[LUG]Re: MicroSDXC problems

On 05/12/2022 16:55, George Parker wrote:
I have a MicroSDXC card SanDisk Ultra 128Gb and I have all my music on it. I plug this card into a small cheap music player which in turn is connected to a meaty Sony Blue Tooth speaker. Every now and then I get more music and I plug the card via an adapter into my Linux Mint desk 21 top and load the new music.

However, this time Nemo file manager says I'm not allowed as the disk is read only. When I go into properties and look at permissions I, George, am the owner with read/write privileges but that the group, George, is read only. Something has changed from about a month ago when I last copied music to the card.

I have tried copying as root. I have tried to reformat the drive with gparted but the disk refuses to change. I have tried changing permissions but it won't.

Any suggestions before I buy a new Microsd card ?

George

Generally speaking, when memory cards (or USB sticks, for that matter) start to 'misbehave' it's usually time to consider binning them. The smaller ones are relatively cheap, and larger ones are becoming cheaper (inflation notwithstanding!). I believe (although not verified) the controllers have a particular failure mechanism, and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those was to mark the storage 'read-only' to protect existing contents from accidentally disappearing (for whatever reason). Similarly, if you can't reliably re-format/re-partition the disk .. likely those blocks are 'beyond redemption' and I wouldn't rely on them for, eg. booting, etc.

You'll probably find a wealth of information across the internet on memory cards since the R-pi exploded, and likewise Dash-cams took off. Memory card manufacturers have had to "up their game" and there are many articles out there on manufacturers/types to pick and to avoid.

Hope this helps somewhat!
Regards,
Michael /veremitz.