Re: [LUG] Force Linux Mint 20.3 to ask for password

Dear Julian,

The keyring you refer to is almost certianly GNOME Keyring, which is
installed by default on most GTK-based desktop environments (that
includes GNOME of course, as well as Xfce etc.)

As such, just changing your Desktop Manager (which is a different
thing to the desktop environment) to ask for a password isn't going to
work on its own. I'd recommend following the instructions for 'PAM
step' on the Arch Linux wiki page that covers the keyring:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/Keyring#Using_the_keyring

If it still doesn't work after rebooting, it might mean that the
keyring login name is different from your account name. In this case,
you can install 'seahorse' to graphically see what the keyring is
called.

I've now completely moved to KeePassXC, which is slightly less
integrated than GNOME Keyring (so I'm not sure it would work for your
use-case), but is easier to set up.

Hope this helps :)

Best wishes,

Sebastian

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 12:51:25PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> You may recall my trials and tribulations trying to get NFS shares auto
> mounting when I boot in the current Linux Mint. The only work around I found
> was to use Samba, but even that baulks unless every single time I go to
> Network, pick the server and manually mount the share, then it stays
> mounted. The first time it /always/ whines that my keyring was not unlocked
> when I booted, and /that/ I think has been the root of the problem in the
> background all along. So the system has booted, at one point mounted the NFS
> shares, but not let me see the /content/ because the keyring wasn't unlocked
> - but it didn't tell me that. So I've tied to make the system ask me for my
> password at login, but it won't. I've removed the user from the auto login
> group, edited one of the files (I forget which - it's been a while) to say
> auto-login=false, but it still won't prompt me for a password.
>
> Thoughts please!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
>
> --
> “The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
> fact.”
>
> ― Thomas Henry Huxley
>

> --

Best wishes,