Re: [LUG] Whinge

On 09/10/2022 13:08, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Sun, Oct 09, 2022 at 12:14:05PM +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:

What RAM do you now use?
The value may be of use for others to know.
I increased RAM on old 2012 designed DELL to maximum 16Gb and found it can
run External USB Linux systems adequately from a 1TB hard drive.
Prior to that it also ran on 8GB , but when I had spare funds I increased.

Total RAM is 16mb

I had original use 4gb, now increased to 6gb. Next time I rebook
will up to 8gb

Using Win-10 (it will not upgrade because the computer is too
slow...)

Zoom is now working so hopefully using the program I can get away
from chipmunk voice

What do you mean by 'too slow'?

I maintain about 9 laptops.
3 of my own (2 dual boot Windwows 10 & linux, one is only Linux on 2 GB RAM) and 6 belonging to a social oldies computer club, Of the 6 of social club most are 4GB RAM (one is 2GB RAM), all run Windows 10 , all upgrade ok. Most circa 2014 to 2016 age. All can handle ZOOM and Jitsi, even over slow WiFi at a community centre. Very easy on Ethernet from Home.
(They are upgraded on Ethernet connection by bringing home to upgrade.)

None capable of running Windows 11, as too old and no T2 Chip.
These will be repurposed to Xubuntu LTS when Windows 10 ceases to be maintained.
One is a Windows 11 new purchase, it upgrades OK. WiFi or Ethernet.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald