Re: [LUG] open source fitness tracker

On 07/07/2022 12:29, Michael Everitt wrote:
On 07/07/2022 12:12, Tom via list wrote:
On 06/07/2022 21:01, Simon Waters wrote:

On Saturday, 2 July 2022 11:31:08 BST Tom via list wrote:

> I just watched the Gadget Show which compared a FitBit with a Xiaomi

> jobbie and given errors in the heartbeat  readings from both (Xiaomi was

> dire - FitBit just awful) I'm not sure I'll bother.

Not seen that show, but such devices can be useful, especially to people who aren't yet performing recommended minimum amounts of physical activity.

Anecdotally the heart rate measures are sufficient to spot significant changes in resting heart rate.

That said I have medical device that doesn't like the standard deviation in my heartbeat on occasion, and the doctors can't find it on ECGs, although I'm pretty sure the cheap electronics is seeing something real (as it doesn't see it on other people), presumably not frequent enough or significant enough to be a concern.

But I assume the point of fitbit type tracking is to make sure the exercise is vigorous enough and not too vigorous and you probably don't need perfection for that.

The fibit was giving a heartbeat of 150 when it was over 180 and the Xiaomi was giving 90 odd when it was over 170 iirc. Both are dangerously inaccurate. I cant tell mine better from the noise in my ears!

Tom te tom te tom

A friend of mine pointed me to the Pimoroni Pico ( https://shop.pimoro!ni.com/products/tiny-2040?variant=39560012300371 ) which was wrist-sized, and paired with eg. phone/bluetooth perhaps you could capture (and process!) more meaningful data yourself? Nothing COTS but if you were curious and wanted to work with raw data, you wouldn't have to hack another device (probably impossible) yourself ...

Go create Tom !

I think the problem is the way the heartbeat is done - red light shined onto the wrist and its the level of light reflected used to guess the blood flow and hence heartbeat. Given the position on the wrist you have two problems - the tendons and flesh move making the contact distance change and the simple swinging of your arms as you exercise will shunt blood causing further errors. I think the watch approach is dud!

I've had problems with a pedometer before - my smooth walking style meant a four mile walk involved about 50 steps!

I may play with a chest mounted jobbie

Tom te tom te tom