Re: [LUG] Upgrade Thunderbird

On 30/06/2022 15:58, Giles Coochey wrote:

My understanding is that Manjaro != Arch

My understanding was that a user would use Manjaro to usually take a step back from the bleeding-edge, and allow packages to progress as follows:

Arch --> Manjaro Unstable --> Manjaro Testing --> Manjaro Stable

https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=thunderbird still indicates that everything in Manjaro is 91.10.0-1.

Now, I'm not saying that the Arch AUR might install and somewhat work on Manjaro, but as the OP did not know how to install a package outside of Manjaro's package management system, I personally think it best to suggest they wait.

If they wanted bleeding edge (and could cope with all the issues that entails), then they'd be running Arch, not Manjaro.

None of this concerns me nor should it concern you! The user asked an extremely specific (literally two sentence) technical question about package availability. "Can I have it and can I force it?".

I provided the extremely specific technical answer because nobody else did. The answer is "yes". The AUR works just fine on Arch derivatives like Manjaro by the way, most Arch downstreams have even built their own custom pamac/yay type package managers to integrate it.

Like PPAs for Ubuntu or COPR for Fedora the AUR is one of the most important bits of Arch Linux, no reason to be scared of the contents.