Re: [LUG] Scam callers

On 09/05/2022 14:40, Barnaby wrote:

On 09/05/2022 13:43, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 09/05/2022 13:25, stinga wrote:
On 09/05/2022 19:41, Julian Hall wrote:
On 18/04/2022 10:04, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:31:14 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

I notice the calls are generally during business hours - these people
are trying to scam those most likely to fall for it - pensioners.
 I always answer the phone 'Hello?' and won't even admit it's me until they identify themselves. Then if it's a scam I hang up.
I don't say anything if I don't recognize the name and number.

I just answer the call, they called me, its up to them to start the conversation.
Usually they hang up.
I do that, I find that if the system is war-dialling, just dialling many numbers until someone answers the call, If the system doesn't detect a certain volume of sound then the war-dialling system doesn't connect the scammer to the line, and just moves on to calling the next number.

Thanks. this is all very useful and interesting. We get very few scam calls, no more than two or three a month. Very few rubbish emails too. Obviously I am not very popular. I have heard that some people get lots. Guess I am just lucky. I am certainly very wary of calls and emails that i don't expect. And I have no problem with putting the phone down on them. I  do sometimes ask if their mother knows what they do. If she finds out she will be ashamed of them. They don't like that one,

Neil

The only problem is that scammers are becoming more sophisticated and bulk buying SIM cards so call from different numbers. Also they've developed a nasty habit of calling from the same dialling code as they call, so it looks like a local caller. However the general rule is if in doubt ignore it. If it's genuine they'll call again and/or leave a message.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley