Re: [LUG] Scam callers

On 09/05/2022 13:25, stinga wrote:
On 09/05/2022 19:41, Julian Hall wrote:
On 18/04/2022 10:04, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:31:14 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

I notice the calls are generally during business hours - these people
are trying to scam those most likely to fall for it - pensioners.
 I always answer the phone 'Hello?' and won't even admit it's me until they identify themselves. Then if it's a scam I hang up.
I don't say anything if I don't recognize the name and number.

I just answer the call, they called me, its up to them to start the conversation.
Usually they hang up.
I do that, I find that if the system is war-dialling, just dialling many numbers until someone answers the call, If the system doesn't detect a certain volume of sound then the war-dialling system doesn't connect the scammer to the line, and just moves on to calling the next number.