[LUG] Linux alternatives to Dragon Naturally Speaking [Was Re: OT ish - Open Source android speech to text]

On 03/03/2022 13:38, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 03/03/2022 11:20, Julian Hall wrote:
On 03/03/2022 09:23, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 03/03/2022 09:15, Tom via list wrote:
Off to lunch with a near stone deaf ageing relative and wondering if anyone knows of a (pref trainable) speech to text android app that works without internet connection?

Tom te tom te I SAID TOM!!!!

I was under the impression that under Android, Speech to Text isn't an app, it is an input method. At least on my Samsung phone, I can use any application that accepts text, and just change the input method from keyboard to microphone.

I'm not aware of one on Android or Linux.. although as Google Translate works on an Android phone with the same input method it should be possible. I don't know of a FLOSS equivalent to the Windows program Naturally Speaking from Dragon either. Not working via a VM or WINE?

Julian

Regret. I do not use a smartphone so cannot help.
My neighbour who is partly  (almost fully) blind depended on Dragon for about 17 years on his macOS computer(s) as a physics researcher, then about a couple of years ago Dragon pulled all support for Dragon on new macOSs. His mac upgraded the OS and his Dragon ceased to work and backwards he could no go. Result loss of livelihood OR buy a Windows machine to which he was unable to transfer 17 years of research notes, but it could read his backups (differences in macOS and Windows version of Dragon) At that time I did extensive research for him to find a Linux alternative , where he could not be 'locked out' by vendor dependence alternative. Regrettably none existed, with the facilities he required. A big change to start Windows in his late 60s after using macOS since he became a university researcher after decades in HMG.

This was a major lesson in (evils of) Proprietary software.
Now for disabled folk, I make and keep  for them a complete system image  so they 'can go back'. In event of upgrade  destroying a working facility.

I suggest when you find an Android equivalent you make sure,
 you have it for 'keeps'.
Let me know what you find. Thanks in advance

https://alternativeto.net/software/nuance-dragon-naturallyspeaking/?platform=linux

Now I've never used any of these so cannot comment on their accuracy or if they can be trained.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley