Re: [LUG] Hate computers. Hate systemd. [Was Re: Hate computers. Hate HP. Hate USB.

On 07/11/2021 18:00, comrade meowski wrote:
On 07/11/2021 11:33, Julian Hall wrote:

<snip>

Ok the problem is deceptively simple and to be fair I know we've looked at it before so I don't know why it hasn't been corrected by now.

You don't own the mountpoint itself and that's not going to help for a user automount via systemd. Systemd is still doing the heavy lifting here by the way - even if you just put an entry in /etc/fstab the "old fashioned way" then it's interpreted by and turned into a systemd unit file by the systemd mount generator. systemd has been doing it's job correctly for you all along.

Copy/paste exactly - watch out for not adding trailing slashes specifically. You want to change the permissions specifically on the mount point only, don't accidentally recurse down through the NFS share:

sudo ls /media/julian/DEMETER #will show root ownership of "." dir
sudo chown julian:julian /media/julian/DEMETER  #change it
ls /media/julian/DEMETER #will show julian now owns "." dir

And then reboot (bit heavy handed but whatever). I think you'll have an immediately working nfs automount then.

Check not with your desktop shortcut thingies which always seems broken anyway: just do ls /media/julian/DEMETER in a shell after reboot and check it automounts. Then:

sudo systemctl status media-julian-DEMETER.mount
sudo journalctl -u media-julian-DEMETER.automount -b

I think it's as simple as that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
julian@Cerce:~$ sudo ls /media/julian/DEMETER
[sudo] password for julian:
'Android APKs'
'Android update'
 Audio
'Barry At War'
'BBC Articles'
'Birmingham University'
 Bond.xls
 Car
'Cardiff Met'
'Causes of War'
 Cdlabel.alb
 Colour
 Danish.txt
 desktop.ini
 Download
 DVD2
 facebook-julianmhallwales
 facebook-julianmhallwales.zip
 Family
 FFs
 Finances
 foxuser.dbf
 foxuser.fpt
'Game Saves'
 Genealogy
'Glamorgan University'
 GoDaddy.txt
 gparted_details.htm
 Greenlinks-Membership-Form-English-Ffurflen-Ymaelodi-Saesneg-18.01.2017.pdf
 hellados.tpp
 Heredis.txt
'History Research'
 Installers
 IPCAM
'Julian Hall - Bath Seat.jpg'
'Linux Books'
 Misc
'Panels Claim'
 PDF
 PhD
'proof of postage.jpeg'
'Property Damage'
'#recycle'
'Reinstall List.txt'
'Rio Tinto'
 rsync.txt
 S0040191.JPG
 SAFlashPlayer.app
 SanDiskSecureAccess
 Security
 SIM071215.tel
 Skype-com.skype.raider-84357886-v5.7.0.13054.apk
'Sofia Family Tree.jpg'
 Spreadsheets
 Synology_PermissionReport_20210903-195614.csv
 Twitter
'UFO Incidents'
 Warhammer
 Websites
 Wheelchairs
 Word
 WotW
julian@Cerce:~$ sudo chown julian:julian /media/julian/DEMETER
chown: changing ownership of '/media/julian/DEMETER': Operation not permitted
julian@Cerce:~$ ls /media/julian/DEMETER
ls: cannot open directory '/media/julian/DEMETER': Permission denied

Rebooted and still doing the same.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley