[LUG] Hate computers. Hate systemd. [Was Re: Hate computers. Hate HP. Hate USB.

On 28/10/2021 23:52, Simon Avery wrote:
Power up, go through POST, hand over to boot devices and... nothing.

Google's full of helpful suggestions like flash bios, flash ILO, poke this, squeeze that, shake another thing. None of that worked. (Actually getting the firmware from behind HP's paywall took me far too long to figure out and I'll never forgive them for doing that)

(snip)

Agreed. I hate systemd. In particular I hate how it works - or more specifically doesn't - with NFS shares.

In brief I have three shares but I'm only looking at one to make life simpler. Once that works the others should too if I do the same to them.

Server: Fixed IP 192.168.1.3 (named Zeus) - Synology DS216j NAS with latest firmware

NFS Share location: 192.168.1.3:/volume1/DEMETER

Client: Fixed IP 192.168.1.2 (named Cerce) - Mint 20.2

Share mount point: /media/julian/DEMETER

ATM only using the fstab to mount it.

It /used/ to use .mount and .automount files but after being in hospital for months I turned the PC on and the old way refuses to mount. The PC was off so couldn't update in my absence.

Am now at the point where it /seems/ to mount - it appears as a mounted volume - but refuses to let me view the content [open the mount point] (all files I created) unless I am a root user.

ALL help / advice very gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley