Re: [LUG] OT: Accessing files on an android phone with broken screen

On 30/09/2021 22:28, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Ignoramus asks.
Knowledge needed by me to understand this and if I buy a smartphone to
use it.

I "think" I understand 'unlock the bootloader' [Making the phone able to
be booted from other than itself?]

What is 'adb'?
I guess from DuckDuckGo at "Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a versatile
command-line tool that lets you communicate with a device. "

What would my  "Computer's  'adb keys' " be?

Please educate the unknowing. (in simple language) Thanks in advance
Reading the android tools pages  which responded to my search made me
feel very ignorant.

Bad analogy time:

The Bootloader lock is like SecureBoot on a modern PC: can be disabled, but in factory default settings only lets the approved operating system and updates from the company who made it run on the phone. Once it's off, you can boot that linux live CD with no problem... or install linux.

ADB = SSH. It's a set of tools that at base let you start a command line login on the phone over a USB cable. And technically over TCP/IP as well if you set it up. You can do a bunch of other clever stuff with ADB too just like X-forwarding over SSH for example: you can use a tool called scrcpy to tunnel your phone's display back over ADB. Perfect for a case like Tom's where the screen is dead.

ADB keys are like SSH keys: they need to be transferred to the target first so you can access the phone. Normally on first connection a convenient pop-up will appear on the screen and ask you to confirm the ADB connection and optionally permanently trust the host computer from then on. In Tom's case he of course can't see his screen to tap that message which means ADB never gets initialised and he can't access it.

That's probably not very helpful I'm afraid! Do you not own a smartphone yet chief?