Re: [LUG] Debian Install pointers - it's been a while.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:29 AM maceion@xxxxxxxxx <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/07/2021 22:05, Roland Tarver via list wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> So, now I have a new* windows 10 laptop and need to install my favourite
> distro, Debian. I'm not an IT pro but have been exclusively using Linux
> successfully for around 10 years now. I have probably done under 20
> installs during this time. The distro's I have selected have all had
> very easy graphical installers and I used them with the defaults. I have
> never done any serious command line fettling during an install - I don't
> have the skill(yet).
>
> One major difference for this install, as compared to previous, is that
> I would like to keep the windows partition and be able to boot into it.
> The *only* reason for this is if the kids *need* a specific application
> that is only available on windoze. Previously I have successfully
> managed to dual boot a machine; but, I have also heard about disk-images
> and virtual machines. But this is where my knowledge of this topic ends.
> Never used them before.  Could I virtualise the windows instance and use
> it on a debian base? or is that not done/wise?
>
> I found some reasonable instructions to guide me through a dual boot
> install. It has been a while. lol
> https://www.linuxtechi.com/dual-boot-windows-10-debian-10/
> <https://www.linuxtechi.com/dual-boot-windows-10-debian-10/>
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> I'm now off to eat an ice cream waffle from just-eat!! haha! It's
> turning into a day of firsts. lol...
>
> cheers roly :-)
>

> * NOT Meowski approved ;-) :-D. ThinkPad T460 i5 16GB 256GB

A halfpenny worth.
If dual booting the most important bit is to first shrink Windows *from
Windows*. Do not use a Linux system to shrink or alter Windows.

Cool - good tip, thank you :-)

If you need Windows, then I would recommend you use an external USB hard
drive for the Linux installation, rather than put Linux and Windows on a
*single internal* drive.

ok... Is this on a laptop Eion? I do move seats / rooms quite a bit on my laptop; so, dragging an Ext. HD about would be a bit of a pain tbh.

It keeps Windows as Windows. (Easy for Windows updates).
It allows you to boot up into Linux when Linux external Hard Drive is
attached.
I have used this for many years. Boot order is set to 1) DVD, 2) USB
external [Linux distro] 3)Windows internal, 4) net (never used, just in
BIOS's Boot list)

Advantage:
You can re-install your Linux without effecting Windows. With "/"
separate from "/home" it does not effect your home folder
I set external USB format as (old BIOS disc) "/", "/home", "swap"
partitions before installing Linux.

Thank you - sounds very sensible :-)

I have only dual booted internal disc with Ubuntu for some students when
I set to Ubuntu LTS distro. That installs easily and works.

I did it once, when I first got into Linux, and it worked without hitch until a realised i no longer needed Windows and chopped it.

Thanks very much :-)