Re: [LUG] Linux HPC job in Exeter

On 30/06/2021 09:30, Giles Coochey wrote:

> On 30/06/2021 09:09, Michael Everitt wrote:

> On the "good value for money" comment, most decision makers are utterly
> useless at calculating the TCO between a subscription based model and a
> in-house outright purchase model. They factor in overestimated savings
> savings in HR resource, but it means that they lose general in-house
> expertise that is often used in multiple places. They factor in End of
> Service dates for hardware refreshes, when often hardware is re-used
> elsewhere in non-critical environments, or hardware vendors give
> considerable discounts in return for older kit and so on. Many tech
> suppliers are now moving to Subscription models, which also have high
> levels of vendor lock-in, and ensure they make it just about expensive
> enough to revert to in-house again to prevent the customer getting out.
> And once a customer is sufficiently invested into the lock-in, prices
> begin to hike.

Subscription costing. An aside.
Loss of in  house ability is a critical failure.

I often dabbled in 'subscription methods of selling'.
Very few companies and most certainly not most HMG establishments can
calculate 'real cost or benefit of subscription service or benefit'.
Insurance companies can, and they are major selling agent when life risk
or major (think burst undersea pipeline) equipment failure could occur.

Interesting point. The "Yorkshire Vet" was first to use it in veterinary
practice but he lost a lot of money on it as only one farmer took it up,
 as the sales agreement 'we answer when you call ' for unlimited
visits'; caused a lot of call outs to that farmer. So he abandoned
subscription selling.

I used it to service petroleum and chemical installations.

 However it was based on one annual visit to check, inspect and
recommend, then a 30% discount to parts purchased.
We priced it at 'cost plus 10%' for visit (a big loss in money per ONE
annual visit; but a much greater return in escaping legal liabilities &
court cases , inquiries etc. if an incident occurred).
If recommended spares , and refitting was not taken,, then the user not
us carried a very big penalty in legal costs and liabilities for any
incident.

We also 'rented equipment; and serviced and operated it'.
Equipment, software, instruments, inspection equipment and 'gold
masters', technicians [security cleared] etc. as a service.

This was priced at very much higher rates, (gross profit estimate  about
160%) with replacement and upgrades built in on a 10 to 15 year life
cycle,  with *some parts* being replaced at 3 month intervals.
This 'consumable spares problem' was what we tried to solve by the
'service offering' as escaping 'very toxic "substances" ' were the
biggest user problem with HMG procurement not seeing  fit to replace
when we could 'just detect wear' which was our criteria for replacement,
due to nature of escaping substances. H2S is a very very much less
deadly substance than the toxins that establishment handled. The
establishment was in the news recently due to an incident in Salisbury.

Pricing for service.
A) Include the very big insurance premium, a burst undersea gas pipeline
is a big expense (we dried undersea pipelines, lots of computer
modelling involved, as you are 'guessing' a circumstance perhaps 40
miles away from the instrument point).
B) Ensure you have adequate stock of long time to manufacture spares
(include carrying cost of money at 20% per annum).
C) Train and train and train your operatives (I assume a code check is
equivalent in software) Assume a 3 month wage bill per person per year
overhead cost.
D) Amortize goods supplied over  one third of expected service life.
E) Test goods extensively. Sometimes a 'trial unit' was tested to
destruction.

Roughly:
'Service' supply was an annual cost of about 80% of a 'new supply'.
However customer's insurance bill could drop by 'hundreds of thousands
of USD per year'.
Two government sites out of many bought service, most did not.
One in three chemical companies bought service.

Strangely, the service customers never had a 'critical failure' with
loss of life. Others did.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald