Re: [LUG] Linux HPC job in Exeter

On 30/06/2021 09:09, Michael Everitt wrote:
On 30/06/2021 08:27, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 30/06/2021 08:10, Michael Everitt wrote:
On 29/06/2021 22:45, Simon Waters wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 15:41:52 BST Exwick, Trevor wrote:
https://hpe.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Jobsathpe/job/Exeter-United-Kingdom/HPC-Ap
plication-Analyst_1085763-2
The job posting is a little weird. I assume it is supporting the Met Office Cray
and then they mention SAP....

Last I heard (from an inside source) that the Met Office's new supercomputing
provider was .. wait for it ... Microsoft....

"good value for money" was the argument I heard they got the contract ...
On the "good value for money" comment, most decision makers are utterly useless at calculating the TCO between a subscription based model and a in-house outright purchase model. They factor in overestimated savings savings in HR resource, but it means that they lose general in-house expertise that is often used in multiple places. They factor in End of Service dates for hardware refreshes, when often hardware is re-used elsewhere in non-critical environments, or hardware vendors give considerable discounts in return for older kit and so on. Many tech suppliers are now moving to Subscription models, which also have high levels of vendor lock-in, and ensure they make it just about expensive enough to revert to in-house again to prevent the customer getting out. And once a customer is sufficiently invested into the lock-in, prices begin to hike.