Re: [LUG] Website and Volunteers was Re: IRC: Freenode -> Libera

On 17/06/2021 21:50, Paul Sutton via list wrote:
> On 17/06/2021 14:25, Michael Everitt wrote:
>> See below (per netiquette)...
>>
>> On 17/06/2021 13:25, Simon Waters wrote:
>>> First I'd like to thank Paul for his work on the website, and for his
>>> other
>>> work organising and promoting the group, and hope he will continue in
>>> both.
>>>
>>> We've had a number of threads over the years about the website, but
>>> the upshot
>>> has generally been a burst of interest, and then it has gradually
>>> declined
>>> until it is just or mostly Paul again. We've had contributions from
>>> Ron and
>>> Matthew this year, otherwise all the posts on the website are from
>>> Paul, and
>>> they cover everything from NCSC hardening guidance for Ubuntu LTS to
>>> local
>>> coding events. The content is relevant, interesting, and contributed
>>> consistently by Paul.
>>>
>>> I'm as guilty of leaving it to Paul as others, possibly more so, as
>>> whilst
>>> I've sorted the occasional problem, I've left Paul without the
>>> benefits of any
>>> relevant experience I may have most of the time. I also have outstanding
>>> maintenance activities relating to the site to do.
>>>
>>> That said the current criticism seems to be based on aesthetics, and the
>>> belief that because a product is owned by Microsoft it must be
>>> inherently evil
>>> (although most geeks seem to except GitHub for some reason).
>>>
>>> (No I've not seen the site on a 4K monitor, and I'm pretty sure Paul
>>> won't
>>> have either, feel free to email screenshots to admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -
>>> I know
>>> the heading text scales up rather keenly on my monitor at full size).
>>>
>>> The WordPress tracker is the only tracker, and the only statistics
>>> provided to
>>> anyone on the website (since my own log analysis code fell into
>>> disrepair). My
>>> browser (Brave) blocks this tracker by default, an approach I suggest
>>> to those
>>> who are worried about being tracked on the web.
>>>
>>> The website doesn't pull in huge numbers of views, so I don't think
>>> it merits
>>> huge attention. It was being used to update various social media
>>> sites about
>>> activities of the group, and I think that is a reasonable use, and
>>> something
>>> that the current tooling allows.
>>>
>>> If we want the group to thrive, we need to organize more meetings &
>>> events, at
>>> which point the tooling to support them will I'm sure receive more
>>> love and
>>> attention. We've always taken a relaxed (anarchic?) approach to
>>> organising
>>> meetings, any member can organise a meeting, and promote it through the
> [...]

Thank you for this post.
I do appreciate the work you do and have done; and I hope will continue
to do.

For beginners, or those trying to get older machines to be up to date
and safe (Visa era Windows machines to work - my old pupils with a very
finite horizon in time to death (like myself, well past mortality
average tables) - do not spend on *new* computers, but want repair to OS
to work.
Here Linux distros fit the bill.

I might make some suggestions, if wanted, however it will take time,
based on how I set up the oldies on current software in aged machines.
It fits our 'repair' not throw away principles to help the economy and
the earth's resources.
However *off-topic* I also teach how to 'rescue' Windows machines; some
only want that. But both are necessary; to get folk to listen to Windows
stuff (they know what that is) and *gently* say there is an alternative
for your machine and your machine use.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald