Re: [LUG] Website and Volunteers was Re: IRC: Freenode -> Libera

See below (per netiquette)...

On 17/06/2021 13:25, Simon Waters wrote:
> First I'd like to thank Paul for his work on the website, and for his other
> work organising and promoting the group, and hope he will continue in both.
>
> We've had a number of threads over the years about the website, but the upshot
> has generally been a burst of interest, and then it has gradually declined
> until it is just or mostly Paul again. We've had contributions from Ron and
> Matthew this year, otherwise all the posts on the website are from Paul, and
> they cover everything from NCSC hardening guidance for Ubuntu LTS to local
> coding events. The content is relevant, interesting, and contributed
> consistently by Paul.
>
> I'm as guilty of leaving it to Paul as others, possibly more so, as whilst
> I've sorted the occasional problem, I've left Paul without the benefits of any
> relevant experience I may have most of the time. I also have outstanding
> maintenance activities relating to the site to do.
>
> That said the current criticism seems to be based on aesthetics, and the
> belief that because a product is owned by Microsoft it must be inherently evil
> (although most geeks seem to except GitHub for some reason).
>
> (No I've not seen the site on a 4K monitor, and I'm pretty sure Paul won't
> have either, feel free to email screenshots to admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - I know
> the heading text scales up rather keenly on my monitor at full size).
>
> The WordPress tracker is the only tracker, and the only statistics provided to
> anyone on the website (since my own log analysis code fell into disrepair). My
> browser (Brave) blocks this tracker by default, an approach I suggest to those
> who are worried about being tracked on the web.
>
> The website doesn't pull in huge numbers of views, so I don't think it merits
> huge attention. It was being used to update various social media sites about
> activities of the group, and I think that is a reasonable use, and something
> that the current tooling allows.
>
> If we want the group to thrive, we need to organize more meetings & events, at
> which point the tooling to support them will I'm sure receive more love and
> attention. We've always taken a relaxed (anarchic?) approach to organising
> meetings, any member can organise a meeting, and promote it through the
> mailing list, and the website. Since meetings are currently largely virtual
> this doesn't even require a room (which was the usual problem with organising
> physical  meetings).  Although best to co-ordinate these, usually Paul was
> that co-ordinator, as he could say when other meetings that might conflict were
> taking place, and I hope he is happy to continue doing that.
>
> More generally we may have too many groups and social media sites, with too
> little content. Again the best fix for that is for other people to help
> organise events or contribute relevant content.

I've offered to help Paul out in the past, and he gave me a logon, which I still
have. Alas, when I started looking at ways to change theme, etc, I don't have the
admin privileges to make structural changes to the site. Since then, my time has
become somewhat more precious, but if there are specific changes that are desired,
I'm happy to dive in and poke things. I'm doing some webadmin work for another
project, so effort wouldn't be wasted ..

Without prejudice, I know that seabass has become quite an active community member
here, and has been regularly updating the IRC channel information with meeting times,
etc, and perhaps might like to contribute too, if he had an 'editor'/etc such role,
as time/etc permits? Throwing out an invite to contribute rather than chucking the
poor fella under the bus, but I think as a team we might be able to do some
improvements, even if Paul remains the 'main man' so-to-speak...

WDYT?!