Re: [LUG] Good ISP for Cornwall.

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Jon Davey via list wrote:

Hi all. Well the email heading says it all really. I'm looking to move from talktalk as my bill seems to be increasing each and every money !.... -- (sent using CLAWS mail)

With few exceptions all ISPs are UK wide.

The exceptions are the ones laying their own fibre - e.g. Gigaclear. Just google for them if interested although often there are things like local advertisements to let people know they're available.

So unless Virgin cable is available it's an ISP who uses the BT wholesale network, or similar - e.g. BTW for the last mile copper (or fibre) then a wholesale carrier bake to their own HQ. (which may be BT or others)

You need to shop around and pick one. Remember that price isn't always a good indicator. It used to be that you could pay a little more and get good service but I do not believe that to be the case anymore.

Also see what they're bundling - I've no idea about TT - but do you get online TV/movies, sports/music channels, etc. ? And if-so, do you really need them?

E.g. I used to be with Zen - it was more expensive than my current ISP and their support was terrible - to the point that after several months of bad service I dumped then, then it took them another few months of discussion for them to eventually admit their failing and offer me a refund - by which time I've moved house. Their main failing is that they never listened to me when someone unknown to me (and them) tried to take over my phone line and internet service. Despite phone calls and emails they failed to stop it and I was left without phone and Internet service. I will never use, nor recommend Zen.

Right now I am paying less than I paid to Zen and my line speed is over twice as fast and I get an uptime of 4+ weeks. With Zen my line was resetting almost daily.

I use an no-frills ISP, so have my own modem, router, Wi-Fi access points, etc. and am capable of doing my own first-line support (but I also used to run my own ISP, so easy for me). They also don't handle voice calls, so I get service via an SoGEA connection. I have a phone line but no phone number. It's data only. Who needs a fixed phone line these days anyway? I've been carrying my phone with me for decades now.

https://1310.io/

I have their slowest offering and only get 75Mb/sec. (a limitation of my exchange), but they're not for everyone.

Good luck.

Gordon