Re: [LUG] [External] OT: Hardware upgrade time - run VMs at home

On 25/02/2021 18:14, comrade meowski wrote:

>> Gigabyte Micro ATX B450M DS3H
>> AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7GHz quad core
>> 2 x 8 Gb Crucial DDR4 2666 mhz
>> Gigabyte GC-WB867D-1 PCIE Wifi card*
>> Radeon RX Vega 11 chip on board
>

> Interestingly you guys all seem to be independently arriving at nearly
> identical builds - you're all in the right spot as well, I've built
> stacks of systems along these lines for people over the last year or
> two. I'm using one not much different myself right now and it's
> fantastic.

Me 5 :)

I ended up with this,
https://www.ebuyer.com/990072-xenta-mt-ryzen-7-pro-16gb-ram-240gb-ssd-no-os-desktop-xr-d5161

Seemed pretty good value for money. However, I sucked myself in to
upgrades before I even powered it on. I really didn't like the case. So:
New case - Thermaltake Versa H17
Another 32GB of faster RAM, which now means I have to decide if I want
32GB of fast or 48GB not so fast.
A new cooler - meowski is right the stock cooler is rubbish. However as
I have never built a PC before I haven't plucked up the courage to swap
it over yet.
I had a NVMe drive and a weird 3.5" dual SSD RAID thing so they got
stuck in there as well - new case makes that very easy.

So I think I spent a bit more than I planned. Still think it was good
value though.

Have just blagged a 32" widescreen monitor from work so that is going to
get plugged in tomorrow.

Now to sit back and let comrade meowski disect it :)