Re: [LUG] Laptop repair and ssd data recovery

On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 08:55:07 GMT Gordon Henderson wrote:

> SSDs are great and will (possibly are) becoming the 'norm'. The quality,
> speed and longevity is ever improving too.

I think it is already the norm, Windows & OSX are becoming intolerable on hard
disks, I suspect because it is assumed by developers (OS and 3rd party) that
SSD performance will simply be there.

Not seen a new desktop/laptop computer for business use in 5 years without SSD
for the operating system. It still attracts a slight premium, but sizes 1TB
and below you'd have to value you time really lowly not to opt for it. Going
above that it depends what you are doing, but most desktops aren't handling
large files for which performance isn't important (well mine do but they are
backing up stuff from various silly things I shouldn't do on my desktop).

That said my personal systems all need a refresh for this new fangled
technology, suspect I'll jump straight for spinning disks to NVMe direct to
the graphics card, skip a whole generation of PCs in between, but I need some
cash for that to happen.