Re: [LUG] Laptop repair and ssd data recovery

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Henry Bremridge wrote:

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 06:19:31PM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Spinning rust still has a lot going for it.

I have thinking for sometime of upgrading my desktop and was wondering
whether to add SSD, think I will stay with the "spinning rust" for
now.

SSDs are great and will (possibly are) becoming the 'norm'. The quality, speed and longevity is ever improving too.

Both my desktop and laptop have SSDs now.

My desktop is backed up every night and the latop on-demand as I use it rarely right now - although my work-flow on the laptop is relatively simple - sync from desktop, work remote (ie. other side of the room right now), sync back to desktop before shutdown, if I've actually done anything. I rarely "work" on it, as such though - it's almost just a smart terminal for me.

And yes I have plenty of back up but I am not sure what the advantages of SSD are if I do not reboot that often

Almost everything is faster - no seek time which can really improve access time, especially with a filesystem prone to fragmentation. however, I appreciate that our workflows are quite different... I'm editing, compiling, etc. with some video editing, etc. so often lots of small file access and occasional large file read/writing.

Cheers,

Gordon