Re: [LUG] Laptop repair and ssd data recovery

On Monday, 8 February 2021 18:36:25 GMT Björn Grohmann wrote:

> In my experience if the BIOS doesn't see a drive there is little or no
> chance of a bootable recovery DVD seeing it either. In which case I would
> try fitting the drive into an external drive housing and attempting to
> access it by attaching it to a known good computer.

In the days of spinning rust the OS not seeing the drive was a good sign, as
it meant the controller electronics had failed, not necessarily the mechanical
mechanism, so the data was probably still there.

You just bought an identical drive, and swapped the controller, or rather I
paid someone to do this once because the data was worth it (it wasn't too
expensive), but with SSDs it is usually all on one board (sigh).

I think trying it in a known good (but not expensive, and definitely backed up
computer) is a good call too.

There is a lot of talk online about power reset trick - reading around some
SSDs have power loss feature where they have to perform housekeeping after
certain uncontrolled outages. Basically you cold reboot, and leave it at BIOS
whilst you make a cup of tea then reboot and see if it has reappeared.

Not optimistic, but it is something to try, that sounds reasonably safe,
whilst you go track down the specs of the SSD to see if it has anything like
this.

https://uk.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/why-did-ssd-disappear-from-system