Re: [LUG] A pretend rant

On 27/12/2020 14:54, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

To Neil & others at DCGLug.
Neil’s pretend rant

I appreciated this message from Neil.
20201227

To reply to Neil’s “a pretend rant”
Such an essay can only be written by those who are very comfortable
working in  and on a Linux system, while others who are ‘just users’
have neither the depth of knowledge or use cases  to do these things.
  I ‘just use Linux’ mainly by graphical methods as I rarely venture into
the CLI.
Since I started when there was only DOS and everything was via the keyboard, I am happy to use a terminal screen. I realise that many younger users will be used to the GUI method only.

So: rant on rant:

I concur a very strange year indeed, but it has sent us looking for
solutions! Even in computing. Many 'oldies' started to use their devices
in earnest!

I looked up ‘konky’ but am just as unenlightened, except I deduce the
various search engines look for ‘sound’ of word, as I got a lot of
German names in sites similar in pronunciation. Then found Conky in
Linux and understood. “Conky is a system monitor that will display
pertinent information on your desktop.”

My mistake, I should have written it as conky. I first came across it back in the day when I was still using Kubuntu, and there it was Konky.

Panel.
I find keeping the panel hidden sometimes does not work, as in a freeze
it is unrecoverable, so I may temporary hide (‘intelligently’) the
panel. When I need screen area.
No panel visible always ‘disturbs me’ as I have lost my control method.
However I do not use a Command Line Interface except in extremis, as I
have never mastered this method; and as ‘just a user’ I stay rigidly in
the graphical methods. OpenSUSE YaST helps a lot for my use case.

Never thought about a freeze. I just don't like the panel taking up room while I have no use for it at the time.

Terminal. Easy to adjust size.
I have to teach this to those using Xubuntu (old laptops) as easier to
update /upgrade for them in a one line terminal  (copy typing) rather
than use graphical solution.

Yes, I like it to be full screen. I know that tabs are available, but have never bothered.

Size adjustment and magnification of working screen is an essential
skill to old folks with bad eyesight.

Again, I do sometimes increase the size of the words on a screen if I find it a bit hard to read. I have no idea if that can be done in Windows, but probably.

Laptop finger pad. Some oldies are extremely ‘rigid’ in finger movement
so mice or mouse control is almost impossible,  however they can work
touch pads. Even with a single knuckle! However here I almost always use
a USB tethered by wire mouse, but never connected by WiFi. Wife or me
operating a Microwave plays badly with WiFi.

Another surprise. I find it much easier to use a mouse rather than the touchpad. My daughter, like me, uses a wifi mouse, and never touches the pad. My wife likewise.

I have found Linux useful and easy by sticking to distribution’s
versions. So no ‘mucking about’.

Had a little laugh there. Mucking about??? I think of it as setting it up my way, which is one huge advantage to Linux.

Those oldies who are put on Linux stay with it.
Yours aye, a satisfied Linux user from about 1998 or thereabouts  on
Live Knoppix 3 originally. (A 3.5 inch floppy disc distribution from a
paper shop magazine in mid-Wales.)

Well I first got involved with computers (an IBM mainframe) in May 1962. And I have used Linux exclusively since 1999. I must be getting old,

Neil