[LUG] JavaScript at 25 years old

Dear all,

Maybe a little off topic, but certainly a big anniversary!

JavaScript (JS) was announced 'yesterday in 1995':
https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/05/javascript_25_anniversary/

It is a little late for a party, perhaps, but I have celebrated in
another way! That is, installing a plugin for Firefox/IceCat called 'GNU
LibreJS'. It is a program that detects proprietary JavaScript code
contained in websites and blocks that code from running, whilst in the
same way detecting JS which is free software and letting that run.

I think this is a very convenient way of maintaining one's freedom by
enjoying freely licensed JavaScript that one happens to come across. It
has the added, albeit coincidental, benefit of blocking most of the
distracting pop-ups so common on the Web!

LibreJS is really easy to install if you are already on a Mozilla-based
browser; you can just click the 'Latest installer' button on this site:
https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/

Another really interesting project I have seen recently is Etherpad -
it's a very nifty word processor program that's made in JavaScript and
allows multiple people to collaboratively write a document at the same
time.

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'