Re: [LUG] Kernel Update

On 09/11/2020 15:24, Neil wrote:
On 09/11/2020 15:17, Simon Avery wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 13:31, Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I am using MX Linux v 19.2. I notice that the kernel in use is 4.19.0.
    Looking at the available updates I see that I could change it to
    version
    5.8.14. This is very easy to do in MX. However, I wonder if there is
    any

You should, of course, be keeping your operating system up to date using the recommended patching systems provided by your distro. I don't use MX Linux, but I see it's based on Debian.

You might want to look into doing this automatically using, for example, https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades ; (Assuming it works for MX also)

Patching weekly is a good idea.

Generally speaking there are few reasons NOT to keep things in line with your chosen distro's latest versions. After all, Linux distros usually take great care in managing and packaging these things to minimise problems.

I check for any updates every day, and always install if there are any available. That, I suppose, will only check up on any already installed files. Anyway, as far as I know, it is all up to date.

Neil

As a follow up, I also have a laptop, in sync with my desktop, so I updated the kernel there, and it seems OK.

I did have to reset my passwords in the emails though. Having done that it all seems to be OK, so far,

Neil