Re: [LUG] Kernel Update

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 13:31, Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am using MX Linux v 19.2. I notice that the kernel in use is 4.19.0.
Looking at the available updates I see that I could change it to version
5.8.14. This is very easy to do in MX. However, I wonder if there is any

You should, of course, be keeping your operating system up to date using the recommended patching systems provided by your distro. I don't use MX Linux, but I see it's based on Debian.

You might want to look into doing this automatically using, for example, https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades  (Assuming it works for MX also)

Patching weekly is a good idea.

Generally speaking there are few reasons NOT to keep things in line with your chosen distro's latest versions. After all, Linux distros usually take great care in managing and packaging these things to minimise problems.