Re: [LUG] Problems with debian testing - cannot boot. ii

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:18:43PM +0000, comrade meowski wrote:
> "Sidestepped it" seems more accurate here but at least the system is running
> normally again, so that's a win.
No kidding, huge sights of relief.

> Now it's functional dig deeper to find out what happened and correct it.
> Might have been a failed upgrade to the kernel and bootloader which you
> should rerun - kernel 4.16 is comically out of date.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/linux-image-amd64
>
> Generic kernel package for your system is linux-image-5.9.0-1-amd64 so your
> system is running a weird configuration. I'd recommend running:
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic --install-recommends

> And checking through what it wants to do before letting it install the
> current kernel and support packages.
>
> Examine the last few boot entries worth of errors by checking your previous
> boots:
>
> sudo journalctl --list-boots
> sudo journalctl -p err -b
>
> Then run 'sudo journalctl -p err -b X' to list the errors from respective
> boot attempts. '-b' with no argument shows the previous boot, increment by 1
> for each previous boot you want to display from so:
>
> sudo journalctl -p err -b     #current boot
> sudo journalctl -p err -b 1   #previous boot
> sudo journalctl -p err -b 4   #4 boots ago
>
> Make sense? Skim a basic journaltctl primer for more info on how to filter

> logs if you like, it's a pretty useful skill. You're looking for something
> that stands out as an obvious failure in the couple of boot logs where the
> machine failed to start correctly in between it's successful boots. Should
> be super obvious.
>
> systemctl status vdr

The only vdr I have is a webcam..

> Will tell you why your single current failed service isn't working as well.

Biggest problem seems to be plugable bluetooth

bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd (-2)

Anyway will plough through the errors and try and resolve them

Thank you