Re: [LUG] OT: Personal Network Query

On 09/10/2020 15:16, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I would very much appreciate advice on the following please.

In short, networking a care home with three floors. It seems they have run out of IP addresses on their router so cannot add any more wireless devices. Quite how they've managed that I don't know but the fact is they have, and are now thinking of upgrading. The possibility of separate routers on each floor was mentioned. My initial thought was:

Ground floor: Main router with Internet gateway and two separate networks - one for staff and equipment - LAN printers and networked drives etc. The other a Guest network for visitors with only Internet access. IP range 192.168.0.x

First floor. Router with IP range 192.168.1.x

Second floor. Router with IP range 192.168.2.x

Just change the scope of your DHCP service to use a 192.168.0.0 255.255.252.0 network mask, you'll have 4x as many IPs available also try lowering the lease time of your DHCP leases, so that once a visitor leaves their address is released for someone else to us.

Using larger subnets does increase broadcast traffic, but this won't conflict across multiple APs in the air, as broadcasts in one part of the building will not be seen in another part of the building, and as long as you have say Gigabit wired network it will cope with that number of hosts as Wifi will probably be the issue.

In any case, I doubt that you have 254 live hosts on your network at any given time, you probably just have 254 unique MAC addresses within your DHCP lease time.

--
Giles Coochey