Re: [LUG] OT: Personal Network Query

On 09/10/2020 15:16, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I would very much appreciate advice on the following please.

In short, networking a care home with three floors. It seems they have run out of IP addresses on their router so cannot add any more wireless devices. Quite how they've managed that I don't know but the fact is they have, and are now thinking of upgrading. The possibility of separate routers on each floor was mentioned. My initial thought was:

Ground floor: Main router with Internet gateway and two separate networks - one for staff and equipment - LAN printers and networked drives etc. The other a Guest network for visitors with only Internet access. IP range 192.168.0.x

First floor. Router with IP range 192.168.1.x

Second floor. Router with IP range 192.168.2.x

All routers to have the staff, and Guest networks. Would that work, or should they have one router and three hubs?

It's a commercial and residential premises so most definitely not, they need a proper network installation by the sounds of it. How many client devices roughly and over what square footage? Single contiguous building?

At the cost of approximately £1000 they should pay a professional to install a switch, network appliance, wifi controller and plan out a suitable amount of access points and/or mesh access points depending on the site and the ability to run cabling. They need to document it, warranty it and ideally provide support if it goes down because internet access is presumably mission critical there and I don't imagine they'll have a redundant line or anything. This sounds way too important to muck about with and half-arse and as a business they've got regulations to comply with. As a care home they'll have even more than usual.

A suitably configured network will broadcast multiple SSIDs segmented through VLANs all the way to the switch and the network box to provide guest network functionality, multiple wifi network names and management/service backbones to connect all the staff and infrastructure systems.

If budget considerations mean you're going to have to do all this yourself that's fine, but you've got a bit of homework to do. Hope you like networking :]