Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

> It bends;  don't put it in your pocket.

And people liked it so much you can now buy a bendy phone for $2000.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/samsung/galaxy-z-fold2-5g.html

> It's simply arrogant to assume that just because I can afford to be
> online 24/7, buy the latest £400 'phone, etc. that everyone can. Even
> in this country. Although (if I recall the facts correctly), in India,
> where over 60% of ppl don't have access to a flush toilet, approx 80%
> of the population owns a mobile 'phone.

In India, one can get a JioPhone 2, which looks like a Blackberry but
uses 4G internet and runs KaiOS. KaiOS is a phone operating system that
is much less heavy on the CPU and battery, and has a large app store
much like Android - and Indians can buy it for the equivalent of £30!
Manufacturers know that they'll not be able to profit from selling £400
phones in India, so they sell these phones instead (also in Tanzania,
Ukraine etc etc.) However, it's just expected in the US and UK that
people will pay 3-figure sums; any phone you can buy for £30 here can
barely make calls, let alone stream online videos! I find it sad that
these power-efficient and cheap devices are being withheld for the
purpose of forcing more profitable, wasteful models on us.

It would be remiss of me on a GNU/Linux mailing list to point out where
KaiOS came from: it is a fork of Boot2Gecko (B2G), itself a fork of
Firefox OS, which runs on Linux. Despite the years of development put
into B2G by Mozilla, and then by a community of volunteers, KaiOS is
closed-source - the Mozilla Public License only has copyleft for
modifications to existing files, not new ones. If Firefox OS had been
under the GPL, maybe we would _all_ have the option to run KaiOS.

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'