[LUG] PCIe Firewire cards - any suggestions?

Dear all,

I have an audio interface that connects to my PC via Firewire. It makes
an incredible difference to the audio quality of my microphone (reducing
almost all perceivable noise), and so I'd like to use it whenever
possible.

I had bought a PCI multi-voltage card, but then realised that my
computer did not have a spare PCI slot - only PCIe. Then, I bought a
PCIe-x16 card that works well with Linux on this PC, but I have since
acquired a new PC which has PCIe-x1 slots - thus I'm looking for a card
to go in that PC. I made a bit of a gamble with the last one; the
manufacturer did not guarantee Linux support. Luckily that gamble paid
off!

Despite having something of a Firewire revival here, I'm not looking to
expand my 'collection' with cards I cannot use! So, for the reasons
above I do need to buy a PCIe-x1 Firewire card. This one (sold by many
sellers on eBay), is unbranded and representative of a whole range of
cards that appear to be identical.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Express-x1-PCI-E-FireWire-1394a-IEEE1394-Controller-Card-3-Port-For-Y2T4/392931207311

Since these cards are the only reasonably priced ones on eBay, can
anyone verify that they work with Linux? If anyone has other suggestions
- ideally under £15 (I'm also fine with second-hand ones) and one with
good Linux compatibility - then they'd be much appreciated.

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'