Re: [LUG] Upcoming events

On Thursday, 10 September 2020 08:36:28 BST Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Shellcon
> https://shellcon.io/
> 9-10 October
> One workshop in this is a AWS Pentesting
> https://shellcon.io/talks/2020/pentest-playground-in-aws/

Looks more like setting up playground to hack on in AWS, rather than Pen
Testing AWS itself.

One of my former colleagues disappeared to Immersive Labs who do a training
system which does something similar on demand, which is a far slicker way of
learning various security bits, they also provide free courses, and spin up
free virtual machines pre-configured. All very tidy but like AWS also all very
proprietary.

I use Debian and Virtual Machine Manager to build my playgrounds now, which is
all free software, runs it all locally, and sets me back only the cost of a
bigger PC. Basically gives similar functionality to Oracle's Virtual Box but
since it is all free software it is better integrated into the Debian
environment.

Although in fairness I need to go earn some more money and buy a MUCH bigger
machine sometime soon. Till now a relatively typical Desktop PC has sufficed for
spinning up software to test, but relative to AWS costs from Pen Test machines
I suspect this is modest and doesn't come with any shocking bills if you fail
to shut something down for a few weeks.