Re: [LUG] An ethical phone?

Hi Sebastian,

I hope nothing that follows is misleading, but I'm only a user. The
people who do it are far better informed.

The phones I've installed on each have their own unofficial
development manager. Some mainline phones have an official path. Your
2014 Y550 is well off that track but there's a chap still posting
monthly security updates to keep it current, the last was 23rd July.
If you look at post 2 on
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/huawei-y550-development-t3425524
and click "news" you'll see he's still active.

If you want to try, it ought to get you onto Android 7.1.2 - the
hardware's too restricted to get you further. There's enough
precompiled download files that you don't need to set up his virtual
environment and compile from scratch though he shows how.

In general and as a summary of what he writes, you need to unlock
developer access on the phone, so you can install downloads. You might
need ADB or Fastboot from your PC. You need to transfer an updated
hardware patch (called Modem in his notes), which is a proprietary
Huawei compiled blob for which no source code is released. There's a
side-loading recovery system called TWRP specific to the Y550. There's
the monthly updated Android 7.1.2 compiled by the current maintainer.
There's the Pico or Nano Gapps to gain access to the Play Store, with
instructions on how to import it at the same time as the Android file.
All the links are in that post and if you follow it in the right
order, wiping the instructed bits of the partitions as you go, it
ought to give you a working outcome, he'd not put all that work in if
it didn't. On the other hand it's a tightrope to walk and it takes a
long time.

You'd need to be prepared to scrap the phone and shift your SIM to
another handset if the process doesn't work. Were it me I'd only set
out to do this for bragging rights, if the upgrade actually succeeds..

John.