Re: [LUG] An ethical phone?

What makes an old phone stay usable? When Fairphone started, the talk
was mainly about modular hardware upgrade paths. I've run my OnePlus3
over 4 years now, starting on Android 5. What would have stopped it
from being usable is an eventual lack of security upgrades, not new
hardware attractions. The OnePlus security patches continued for 3
years and stopped, most Android phonemakers stop after 2. I think
security patches are essential on Android.

LineageOS is one way to handle that, it's upgraded my OnePlus to
Android 10 so far, with monthly security patches around 2 weeks after
Google releases them.

The chap who started OnePlus put up a demonstration on YouTube a few
weeks back. He didn't dismantle his mid-range Nord, he built one. It's
worth watching in this context I think, it's clearly modular hardware
and easily bought fair-cost OnePlus replacement parts are part of his
company ecology - I've put my old model together several times, he's
not kidding, it can be done. If any hardware part had failed I could
have replaced it, just like the Fairphone would. I've yet to see
Fairphone achieve hardware upgrades in the same generation shell but I
may have missed that - have they done it yet? When they say "ethical
phone gets hardware upgrades", are they talking about their models
before version 3 getting updated hardware modules, or are they talking
about a new phone model coming out. If it's the former then I'm
properly impressed but I'm not sure that's the way it's happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVkt5XuuxA