Re: [LUG] DCGLUG online meeting tomorrow

Dear Eion,

> PS I have never used Freenode's #DCGLUG channel, as i do not know how
> to use it.
>
> Last time I used a "bulletin board" was in 2400 baud days on a dial up
> modem
>
> Instructions to the use of the Freenode  channel would be welcomed.

Instructions coming up :)

There are many different clients to connect to Freenode with. You can
use Freenode's 'Webchat' in a browser without installing anything:

1: go to https://webchat.freenode.net/

2: make up a nickname and put this in 'nick'. It won't like it if
someone already has it so it's easier just to make a more complicated
one and simplify it once you know you're in.

3: enter #DCGLUG into 'channel'

4: complete the CAPTCHA and click 'Start'

Now you can type messages into the box at the bottom and press enter to
post them!

Alternatively, here are instructions for Weechat, a command line client.
This is what I use.

1: install weechat using your package manager (apt-get for you, I think?)

2: Enter these commands (you have to press enter after each command like
an ordinary shell prompt)

---1: /server add freenode chat.freenode.net

---2: /connect freenode

---3: /nick -insert nickname here-

---4: /join #DCGLUG

Tada! You should now be able to post to the channel by typing a message
and pressing enter. In case this doesn't work, try pressing control-n to
change buffer until you see the DCGLUG 'topic' message.

There's also Polari, HexChat, irrsi and quite a few other clients but
much of these instructions overlap.

If you have any trouble I'd be happy to help during the DCGLUG Jitsi
meeting! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Best wishes, Sebastian
Freenode: 'seabass'