Re: [LUG] Help Please

On 28/07/2020 12:49, David Bell wrote:

I took the plunge and the following have just arrived:

"The Linux Command Line" 2nd edit. by William Shotts

"The Linux Bible" 10th edit.

Wow!  Wish now that I had bought them at the start of the lockdown.

David

I had a look at the table of contents for both, I would say the first one is more time-proof to changes as it concentrates on more general UNIX concepts and fundamental areas that generally do not change over time. Looks like a good buy.

The second one, "The Linux Bible" has various sections that delve into specific software, such as Gnome3, Print & File servers etc... - these are areas with features and processes, that will, before long, become deprecated (likely why there have been 10 editions, the earliest edition I can find of this book is from 2005, so expect to see a new edition every 1.5 years to keep up to date with the rate of change that Linux has). Still probably a good primer, but once you've digested the information it will probably be better to just follow software package documentation and man pages.

--
Giles Coochey