Re: [LUG] Deleted qemu image

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 17:56:33 +0100
comrade meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Of course I have backups and presumably after that narrow escape, you
> do too now!
Indeed I do!  The irony here is that I was guilty of not seeing the
wood for the trees.  It was the machine that was mission critical
(hence the identical redundant machine: they were bought and configured
as a matched pair); the qemu instance was merely critical.  It was the
machine that was backed up against hardware
failure;  /home/user/{Desktop,Documents,Downloads}are all separate
partitions on both machines; daily rsync backups to six machines in
three different physical locations; I thought I had it covered.  But, of
course, there's no limit on human stupidity...

> Q: how are you doing your Win7 install? I've built Win7 VMs recently
> without any installation issues but if you're trying to use an OEM
> image all bets are off I guess. You can certainly build and deploy
> with WIM still and activation is obviously something you have to take
> into your own hands now.

The W7 dell image that won't install is from the Dell (service tagged)
image. It stalled three times at the same point (expanding files) so I
gave up, and settled for the working clone as a backup.  I don't know
if this option would be available on a machine that wasn't a clone to
the original. When my nerves have recovered, that's something I may well
investigate.  In the meantime, I've taken out a 90-day W10 trial for the
benefit of my sanity!

Interesting times.

fraser