Re: [LUG] FTP Login

On 09/07/2020 20:12, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 09/07/2020 19:39, Edward Lister via list wrote:
>> We need some context Neil.
>>
>> FTP is file transfer protocol and is used to upload and download large
>> files instead of, for example, emailing them.
>>
>> An 'FTP login' could mean account credentials, i.e. a username and/or
>> password for accessing an FTP service.
>>
>> Basically it's like giving someone the keys to your front door to
>> deliver a parcel, or to take one away. Depending on how you've set up
>> your FTP server, the hallway door would be locked as well, leaving
>> some room inside the property to shelter the package.
>>
>> It's straightforward enough to setup an FTP server on linux, although
>> for a personal computer on a broadband connection it could be rather
>> less straightforward. On the other hand, accessing someone else's FTP
>> server is usually a piece of cake, assuming they give you an 'FTP
>> login' for it (or not, in the case of some organisations who offer a
>> public service).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> On 2020-07-09 18:29, Neil wrote:
>>> Some one is asking about my FTP login. I am not sure what that means.
>>> Can anyone please tell me?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>

> Ed is right re context Neil. Is the someone a person you trust i.e.
> family member, friend of many years etc, or a rep from a company you
> deal with, or just a person with whom you have contact? FTP as Ed says
> is for transferring files between your computer and a remote server.
> Uses may be to share a large file, archive data online, download a Linux
> ISO, edit website content etc.
>
> You can do it in a browser - where the format is
> ftp://username:password@server - or in an FTP client program, or from
> the terminal in Linux.
>
> You may have webspace for a website provided by your ISP; this would be
> accessed via FTP. Ditto any webspace for a domain you may own. In either
> case if you do not know it yourself the ISP or domain host should.
>
> The priority though is to understand the risks before you divulge the
> information.
>
> Apologies if this sounds patronising but I'd rather not just tell you
> what to do without making sure you are aware of the above.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

UNLESS you know personally the person asking you for FTP log in, you
take a big risk.
Example of use.

I use ftp to upload files to a non public place on rented server, so I
can access from any of my computers.

If I were to give the log-on details to anyone else, they would have
access to my server!

However you may want to download (say) a Linux Distribution and the
repository can be accessed by browser via html or to a ftp-server with
published log on details for you to access that file and download by ftp.

Why does someone WANT YOUR log on details!

--
regards
Eion MacDonald