Re: [LUG] Mailing List Archive - Needed?

On 06/07/2020 12:18, Paul Sutton wrote:
Agreed,  I would the archive to be kept too.

Paul

On 06/07/2020 09:11, Andy Wills wrote:
Agreed, let's please keep this archive.
On 05 July 2020 at 17:43 Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 13:50, Alex Charrett < alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ok, so I'm a little late, and you've already had a very strong
response from others.

     In the world where people can request to be forgotten under GDPR this
     means that hosting this content involves being resonsible for
     dealing with
     such requests.

This is not, necessarily, a GDPR issue.

     Does anyone get any value out of the mailing list archive?  Much
     of it is
     incredibly old now.

What nobody seems to have pointed out yet is these archives are
incredibly search-engine friendly. Unless you're logging accesses,
you're not going to know just how many times someone has searched the
internet for an obscure, and often old, solution and found the answer
on dclug's archives. Much of my work involves doing just that, and the
number of times my salvation has been found in a mailman archive is
high.

Educating is what the lug is about. The archives are a very easy, low
cost and proven successful way to educate.

I think you've already had an offer of helping to host if you wanted
to. It's something I can also assist/run on behalf of the lug (mailman
and archive) free of charge if required. I'm very happy for anyone
else to do it - but if there is a risk of it being lost, I would
gladly help.  (And take on any subsequent and legally submitted gdpr
removal requests, Of which I predict there would be about zero!)

Regards

-- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG
https://mailman.dcglug.org.uk/listinfo/list FAQ:
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/listfaq

I agree, please keep the archive.
 Thanks in advance to the maintainers for their good work
--
Regards,
Eion MacDonald