Re: [LUG] Mailing List Archive - Needed?

Agreed, let's please keep this archive.
On 05 July 2020 at 17:43 Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 13:50, Alex Charrett < alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, so I'm a little late, and you've already had a very strong response from others.

In the world where people can request to be forgotten under GDPR this
means that hosting this content involves being resonsible for dealing with
such requests.

This is not, necessarily, a GDPR issue.

Does anyone get any value out of the mailing list archive?  Much of it is
incredibly old now.

What nobody seems to have pointed out yet is these archives are incredibly search-engine friendly. Unless you're logging accesses, you're not going to know just how many times someone has searched the internet for an obscure, and often old, solution and found the answer on dclug's archives. Much of my work involves doing just that, and the number of times my salvation has been found in a mailman archive is high.

Educating is what the lug is about. The archives are a very easy, low cost and proven successful way to educate.

I think you've already had an offer of helping to host if you wanted to. It's something I can also assist/run on behalf of the lug (mailman and archive) free of charge if required. I'm very happy for anyone else to do it - but if there is a risk of it being lost, I would gladly help.  (And take on any subsequent and legally submitted gdpr removal requests, Of which I predict there would be about zero!)

Regards