Re: [LUG] Lost setup

On 19/06/2020 20:30, Neil wrote:

It uses EFI

When I check the BIOS boot list, there are just two

Boot Option No1 UEFI: IP4 Realtek P......

The only difference with option 2 is IP6 instead if IP4.

I realise that the letter P is the start of a word, but I can't get to read it.

Updates, only to the normal program files, nothing for the BIOS.

Well you're not going to like this but it's time to boot a live system, chroot into your install and fix up the bootloader then.

Warning: I'm not at all convinced of your diagnosis.

Some more information you'll have to harvest from a live boot system about your existing installation would be ideal.

Check Secure Boot settings in the UEFI as well - disable it if it's back on for some reason.

There are multiple ways to attack this - if your system has a EFI shell available (which it doesn't seem to) we could use that to manually load the operating system. You could also interrupt a live system early in boot and drop to it's grub prompt: we could then use that to correctly locate and then load the OS as well. Both are somewhat advanced and are going to be hellish to try and explain via a mailing list though.

Full live boot and chroot are probably going to be the most intelligible to you but I'd be prepared for a hard slog, this isn't going to be pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯