Re: [LUG] Lost setup

On 19/06/2020 18:32, Simon Waters wrote:
On Friday, 19 June 2020 17:57:39 BST Neil wrote:

Reboot and select proper boot device.

I am completely lost. Has is suddenly lost the SSD? I did try booting
with a USB containing an .iso file. That worked, and, when I searched,
all my files are there, system and my Home folder.

Can anyone come up with any ideas or suggestions?

The error is a bios error, so it sounds like either the SSD no longer has a
workable boot sector, or more likely the BIOS (UEFI)  is no longer looking for
it when the device boots.

My guess would be you hold F2 or DEL down on boot, check what devices it is
looking to boot from (and what it thinks the date/time is.

Whilst there check what the firmware is, version, date, and hardware, and take
some screenshots of the current settings of what devices it is booting from if
it isn't immediately obvious what is wrong.

In the old days this would be because the BIOS battery had lost all charge and
lost all its settings, but these days they don't use batteries for that
(thankfully), but they can still lose their settings occasionally. Most have a
factory default restore option (but I would photograph all the current
settings on a mobile phone before doing anything drastic like that unless you
know what you are doing, always have a method to get back to what it was
before you fiddled, you will be happier with yourself in the long run).

This is all good advice - the MX forum and bugtracker don't have anything obvious glaring out for the last week or so so you haven't hit a well-known glitch or anything either.

Grub breaking is another possibility but that seems unlikely, you'd probably see a different type of failure like a Grub rescue prompt.

Before you dig too deep I'd check and see what "mode" your laptop boots in - old fashioned BIOS or modern UEFI. If for whatever reason - perhaps a firmware upgrade via fwupd - your laptop is trying to boot differently from when it last worked that would entirely explain the error. For example, your system had been previously booting up in BIOS mode but is now trying to boot in UEFI maybe?

It's difficult to advise exactly as all PCs have different implementations of their firmware but generally speaking during initialization you can hit a key (F12 is common) to get a boot menu - it will then offer you either all options theoretically available to boot from or better, a filtered options list of all bootable options it can _actually access_. Experiment by rebooting a few times and seeing what you can glean from the menus available to you.

Ideally your laptop's boot menu will offer you the chance to try booting from the internal SSD via either the BIOS or UEFI entrypoints - if possible try both and see if one works. You'll have to use your common sense to negotiate whatever your laptop is telling you - UEFI bootable entries are commonly stored in EFIVARS with arbitrary nicknames so might show as "MXLINUX" for example. BIOS boot options are easier to spot and will be more verbose.