Re: [LUG] 'DIY' speech to text.

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Tom via list wrote:

https://mycroft-ai.gitbook.io/docs/using-mycroft-ai/customizations/stt-engine#mozilla-deepspeech

You can run this locally - so no network required!

I was doing text to speech in 1983 on a 2Mhz, 8-bit BBC Micro.

I didn't need a network then, why would I need one now?

I really wish folks wouldn't be surprised at this. It's all possible on a hand-held device these days and modern processing power and storage means it can do really well compared to the allophone versions of 35+ years ago.

Or should, but it beats me why it sometimes doesn't. I was playing with speech recognition on a 1Mhz Apple II about the same time. It wasn't great, but did work to a degree.

Gordon