Re: [LUG] Systemd

On 21/05/2020 13:26, Neil wrote:
I have been looking at reviews and comments about systemd on the internet, and it seems to get some people rather hot under the collar.

Congratulations everyone - that was the single sanest conversation about systemd that has ever happened on the internet, or probably ever will.

Hopefully I'm not about to ruin it but the advice has been spot on: as an end user, it's vanishingly unlikely you will ever care or need to know something like "which init system am I using?". Trust your distro maintainers, they usually know what they're doing. Usually.

If you're more advanced and occasionally like to muck around with internet tutorials and copying/pasting stuff into terminals to see what happens, you probably should know what an init system is at least, and which one you're running.

"Power users" and pros have no excuses for not knowing this stuff inside out but should probably keep their unwanted opinions to themselves, me included.

I would cautiously suggest that Simon's advice is extremely good advice and to build on it, systemd is certainly the most prevalent and increasingly standardised init system most people will encounter on Linux systems. It is the newest and "best" after all, and in IT of all things change is constant.

So change with the times and learn new things as they emerge, it's fun anyway right? And nobody says you have to immediately forget all your decades of init script experience and burn all your sysv boxes to the ground the first time you use a systemd computer anyway.

I've known and loved/hated many an init system in my time and so far systemd is the, hmm, "least bad" of them so far. Give it another five years and we'll probably have two new ones come along.