Re: [LUG] Pinterest

On Sun, 10 May 2020, Neil wrote:

I have heard about Pinterest, but today by chance some one sent me a good joke which came from them.

When I looked them up it seems that you need to sign up to use them. I am always wary of such sites. Should I be, or is it safe to sign up?

It's one of several "social media" websites. Created 10 years ago. Designed to allow users to create "pinboards" ie. collections of photos/images.

And that's more or less it. Like other "free" web sites they sell advertising and gather demographics on their users (and visitors) which they sell on.

Is it safe? Who knows. Individuals have had their accounts hacked (poor password policies on their part, usually) but I don't think they have been hacked themselves and while you can use it via a web browser, there are also phone apps. Do your own research.

You can usually view the start of a users page without signing up although they seem to employ a scroll wall - they let you see a page or 2, then insist you create an account.

Of-course, you can google all this information for yourself and check wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinterest

Gordon