[LUG] OT: Raspberry Pi booting from USB media

Hi All,

A bit of context first. I have an Rpi2 with Motioneye installed to operate three CCTV cameras. Initially it was fine but now it crashes or just plain won't display cameras, seemingly at random. I've reinstalled several times, backed up my Meye config to make reinstalling less painful, and researched the problem. It seems Meye writes a lot to the disk, a MicroSD card with the Rpi2, and apparently they corrupt if written to a lot. On the support forum it seems the developer knows about this and, judging by one of his posts on the subject, thinks it is funny. It is not.

I then found it is possible to make the Rpi boot from a USB stick, so I dutifully obeyed the instructions here;

https://thepi.io/how-to-boot-your-raspberry-pi-from-a-usb-mass-storage-device/

I then rebooted the Rpi with the USB stick containing Motioneye - created using the same ISO which boots properly when on a microSD card. All that happened was the Raspberry Pi logo appeared in the top left corner, which I assume is the BIOS waving its arms looking for the boot media. According to the instructions the write once memory for the Pi should have the USB boot flag set properly. Any thoughts what could be wrong please?

Secondary question: I also have an RPi v1 which of course boots from a normal SD card.. are they more robust than microSDs for writing? If so I'll just swap them and see if that improves reliability - it may be worth doing that anyway as a diagnostic procedure.

Kind regards,

Julian

NB: I initially tried installing Zone Minder, but after several hours of dependency hell I gave up and looked for an alternative. Meye is a customised Raspbian distro that once installed, normally, just works.

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley