Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 03/04/20 18:30, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 02/04/2020 23:23, Julian Hall wrote:
>> On 02/04/2020 22:48, comrade meowski wrote:
>>> sudo apt install linux-image- [tab tab to get autocompletes] -version
>>
>> This isn't working for me.. I get nothing with a tab or double tab. The
>> Update Manager says there is a new kernel but apt won't get it for some
>> reason. I get this a lot with kernel updates.
>
> Are you sure your repositories are all setup correctly? It's a bit weird
> that your shell - presumably bash - can't autocomplete package names in
> an apt command as well, that's pretty basic essential functionality. Try
> installing bash-completion, it might not be installed:
>
> sudo apt install bash-completion
>
> You better explain the "apt won't get it for me for some reason" a bit
> more as well, there's obviously something wrong with that.

Maybe he needs a tmate session ....

For my 2cents .. I *hate* realtek cards .. their drivers are buggy when/IF
they work. There's a site I used to use (I'm not sure what's going on with
it since it died) called 'wikidev' which has all the cards listed with
their chipsets, so you can pick ones with support *before* you part with
any cash.

Alternatively, chuck it in a draw, and pull it out again in 2 years when
the linux geeks have fully reverse-engineered the drivers, and linus has
approved them in the mainline kernel.

Sorry to be a bit unhelpful .. but I've been burned by this one a few times
(and have tried to help friends in need of similar hackery...).