Re: [LUG] zoom not fit for purpose

On 02/04/2020 17:19, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 02/04/2020 17:09, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>
>> HILARIOUS is too soft a word for this. But I have no language to
>> express my 'contempt' for their statements of security. This was
>> being touted to all teachers at my daughter's school as the way
>> to work safely with lessons for kids, but maybe school follows
>> the Prime Ministers IT knowledge.
>

> Then you'll be pleased to hear they've been in the news _again_
> since then!
>
> - A Feature on Zoom Secretly Displayed Data From People’s LinkedIn
> Profiles
> (https://it.slashdot.org/story/20/04/02/1457254/a-feature-on-zoom-secr
etly-displayed-data-from-peoples-linkedin-profiles)

> At this point it's not even worth keeping count. I feel kind of bad
> for them at this point even though I'm not quite sure why (their
> userbase and stock market value just keep climbing).

Probably because it is the 'trendy' thing to use, it hits the
headlines people are using it, so more people, being curious
investigate and give it a go.  They also have the financial base to
advertise, develop and promote it far and wide.

It also has a single website and name,

Those of us here, who know of alternatives can find them, and help
others use them.

To a lot of people Zoom 'just works'  that is what they want, it
probably does 'just work' but the security and privacy issues are
hidden from them, once one person starts to use it, friends do,
colleagues do, and you end up with vendor lock in,  at the mercy of
the developers ability to fix issues, or not fix them in terms of say
privacy and sharing of data, you agree to that in the long terms and
conditions.

The idea of decentralisation and self hosting is lost on most people,
 even though self hosting your own e-mail for example puts you in a
lot of control, just it is a lot more work.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D