Re: [LUG] zoom not fit for purpose

On 02/04/2020 08:25, Neil wrote:
> On 01/04/2020 22:33, comrade meowski wrote:
>> I was already sceptical of Zoom even before Covid-19 catapulted it
>> into the limelight but as it came up here just recently and people
>> were already using it, here's a (shamelessly cribbed from someone else
>> online) list of the unforgivable crap they've been caught at recently:
>>
>> - installing a hidden web server on macOS clients that persists even
>> after uninstalling Zoom (https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/2068 ...
>> nerability)
>> - claiming to have end-to-end enryption while actually only delivering
>> endpoint-to-server encryption (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q
>> ... Leug4pNcUP)
>> - leaking information to Facebook
>> (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... sonal-data)
>> - leaking information to other customers who happen to share a domain
>> (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7e9 ... ses-photos1)
>> - actively evading installer security checks on macOS
>> (https://twitter.com/c1truz_/status/12447376729308241932)
>> - leaking credentials due to a very ill-advised 'feature'
>> (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... attackers/)
>> - using easily guessable meeting id numbers that allow random people
>> on the internet to join (zoombombing)
>> (https://mobile.twitter.com/dhh/status/1 ... 74885836813)
>>
>> And today's new addition:
>>
>> - Zoom Lets Attackers Steal Windows Credentials via UNC Links
>> (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/zoom-lets-attackers-steal-windows-credentials-via-unc-links/)
>>

>> Seriously what the hell are these people doing?
>>
>> Conclusion: only use it if forced to at gun point by whoever is paying
>> your salary. If you're a sysadmin put your foot down and overrule your
>> pointy haired boss and ban it at the network edge already.
>>
>> Microsoft Skype or even Facebook Messenger would be a less terrible
>> choice at this point. _Not communicating_ would be a better choice
>> than using Zoom at this stage.
>
> Well, after that will keep clear of Zoom. I can get Skype installed OK.
> I have installed Zoom too, but will not use it now. However, so far I
> have failed to install Jitsi. I expect I am missing something somewhere,
> so I will try again later.
>
> Or just be satisfied with these emails.
>
> Neil

Neil
You do not need to INSTALL Jitsi.
You share a common web page with the other party.
Neither of you INSTALL anything.

It works by two or more having access to a common web page, which
becomes private if HOST sets password for that session.
Copy of instructions I have given to some folk.

1. Video conferencing and message applications such as Microsoft Skype,
Google Hangouts, Google Duo, Zoom, WhatsApp [owned by FaceBook],  and
WeChat [owned by PR Chinese government company] consume  your details,
obtained during registration and their scanning of your contacts list
and emails,  and thus these firms can sell your details and interests.

2. There is a slightly friendlier way which does not need registration
and  does not scan your mobile phone or computer for details. It has two
versions, a consumer use page, [https://meet.jit.si] and a downloadable
install on your own server program for  internal company or personal
owned server use.

3. The program is called JITSI MEET. Based on FLOSS software (Free
Libre Open Source Software)
A benefactor donates the server and resources for free personal use by
persons.
The opening web page for consumer use is https://meet.jit.si

The home organisation has the website https://jitsi.org/
A number of  commercial versions with support are sold for company use.

The consumer version uses one unique to you temporary web page with a
room name chosen by you, where you create your ‘own-named-room’ and
share its URL (the web link details
“https://meet.jit.si/YourRoomNamewithnospaces”;) with the folk you want
to talk to, video conference, or share computer screens. It is useable
on any computer (desktop  or laptop).

URL example: example https://meet.jit.si/YourRoomNamewithnospaces

 Once the room is opened by the HOST, the host can either just give the
link URL [the web page location details] to others and have an open web
page to talk, message (chat in room), video conference or share
documents: OR
On opening the room webpage on HOST’s device (computer browser or mobile
browser) the HOST sets a password which invitees must enter to open the
room.
As password is set by HOST, it can be distributed with the meeting room
URL to others either before hand when advising the time of meeting or by
email or text after opening room. When password is set the HOST controls
the room and can allow persons into the room (they enter the password to
enter) or refuse entry or close their link, mute them or allow them to
speak just as a meeting chair person would act.

Once password is set the HOST must not close the room until meeting is
finished.
As on closing the room the temporary web page allocated to the room name
defaults to a non-password protected page, the normal starting open room
status.

As the program does not need you to register an email or other details,
and the web page is a temporary web page, in existence only when open;
it is an anonymous and temporary web page conference between the
parties, with no trawling or your device for contact lists, emails, or
other data.

Web Page to open for use:

https://meet.jit.si

Here you either  accept one of the random room names displayed in grey
on entry line OR enter your own chosen words, better to use a long name
with say 30 or more characters with NO SPACES.

ONLY if you want Host and to set a dedicated domain and server  for
Jitsi use do you install

I trust this helps you.

If you want to try, give me a private email on maceion@xxxxxxxxx and at
a convenient time I will invite you to a jitsi meet

regards

Eion MacDonald

-
regards